Chinese medicine teaches us to live in harmony with the seasons.
Each season has many associations and if we change our habits as the seasons change, we create more balance between our bodies and our external environment.
It is believed that by harmonising oneself with the seasons you can stay healthier and prevent disease.
Winter represents the most Yin aspect in Chinese medicine. Yin is the dark, cold, slow, inward energy.
Winter is associated with the kidneys which hold our body’s most basic and fundamental energy. Rest is important for revitalising the kidneys, which is why some animals hibernate in winter. It is a time to look inward, reflecting on ourselves with meditation, writing, or other inward practices such as Tai Chi, Qi Gong, slow yoga practices and meditation. These practices help us to connect to our inner selves and help to support kidney energy. They are very helpful to relax the mind, calm our emotions and raise the spirits.
The sense organ associated with the kidneys is the ears, and our ability to hear clearly is related to kidney health. The quiet and stillness of winter allows us to hear more of the world than the buzzing activities of summer.
Many of our workshops this month are slow and nurturing, offering a yin aspect of turning in and slowing down. This in turn may help us to cope with the business of the festive period. Fit one or two in and find some balance.
As ever, the details are below and in the calendar – please check it!
With best Xmas wishes from Sharon and all the teachers and therapists at Dorchester Yoga and Therapy Centre
Classes, Courses and Workshops: December
Reiki One and Two with Sahkmet Campbell
- Saturday 1st 10:00am – 5:00pm
- More about Reiki training
Sacred Geometry with Sahkmet Campbell
- Sunday 2nd 11:00am – 4:00pm
- More about Sacred Geometry
Gong Bath with Arianna Puran Udini
- Sunday 2nd 11:30am – 1:15pm
- More about Gong Bath
Sound Space Meditation with Chrissy Foster
- Wednesday 5th 12:30 – 2:00pm
- More about Sound Space Meditation
Mindfulness Drop-in with Jem Shackleford
- Thursday 6th 7:00 – 8:30pm
- More about Mindfulness Drop-in
Breathing and Yoga Nidra with Sharon Cox-Button
- Friday 7th 7:00 – 8:00pm
- More about Yoga Nidra
Yoga Sutras with Sarah Ryan
- Saturday 8th 10:45am – 12:15pm
- More about Yoga Sutras
Yin Fascial Yoga – Roll and release with Dominique Preston
- Sunday 9th 10:00am – 1:00pm
- More about Yin Fascial Yoga Roll and Release
Qoya with Vikki Smisek
- Monday 10th 11:30am – 1:00pm
- More about Qoya
Life Planning – A free talk with Jennie Bayliss
- Tuesday 11th 7:00 – 8:30pm
- More about Life Planning free talk
Raja Dhiraja with Jez Culley
- Friday 14th December 7:00 – 8:30pm
- More about Raja Dhiraja
Family Yoga with Kim Jones
- Sunday 16th 10.30 – 11.30am
- More about Family Yoga
Restorative Yoga and Yoga Nidra with Sharon Cox-Button
- Sunday 16th 1:30 – 4:00pm
- More about Restorative Yoga and Yoga Nidra
Honouring the Winter Solstice with Sian Lalita Alcock
- Saturday 22nd 10:00am – 1:00pm
- More about Honouring the Winter Solstice
Xmas Yoga Special with Isabelle Taylor and Yogi Lea
- Sunday 30th 10:00am – 1:00pm
- More about Xmas Yoga Special
A little peak at some of our events in the new year
Dorchester Yoga and Therapy centre Open Day
- Saturday January 12th
- Details coming soon