- Baby Massage Course – Sharon Cox-Button
- Baby Reflexology – Rowena Gledhill
- Exploring Stillness – Marj Snape
- Hypnobirthing – Corinne Lukomski
- Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction Course – Jem Shackleford
- Understanding Toddler Behaviour – Calming Connections (Michelle Carter-Grogan)
- Vedic Chanting – Sarah Ryan
- Yoga Therapy for The Mind – Toni Roberts
Baby Massage Course
Six week baby massage courses are suitable for all babies from birth to 1 year old and their parents or primary caregivers. Some of the benefits of attendance are:
- Helping your baby to feel securely attached and loved
- Enjoying focused time with your baby
- Developing your baby’s body awareness and coordination
- Stimulating your baby’s circulation, digestion and nervous system
- Socializing with other parents and babies in a welcoming and supportive environment
- Developing your baby’s social skills
- Learning to relax whilst having fun, and learning a life-long parenting skill
The course was developed by the International Association of Infant Massage; for more information about the IAIM please visit www.iaim.org.uk.
The classes are small and supportive, and the relaxed atmosphere includes time for informal discussion between parents. Please do not worry about class times coinciding with sleep or feeding times, babies are welcomed as babies, and are expected to cry, sleep, need cuddling, feeding and changing.
- Teacher: Sharon Cox-Button
- Time: Thursdays 1.30-2.45pm
- Dates: 28th February, 7th 14th 21st 28th March, 4th April
- Cost: £69.00
- Email Sharon
- Mobile: 07742821937
5 week baby reflexology course. Suitable for babies from birth to crawling. Learn simple reflexology techniques, and use routines specially designed for you and your baby. Reflexology is a gentle therapy that helps the body to restore its balance naturally, through touching areas on the feet that correspond to systems or organs of the body. We cover coughs and colds, colic, sleep, teething, allergies and tummies. *Course content may vary depending on the needs of the children.
You and your child are welcomed to a small, adaptable and baby led class, where you will learn life-long skills which can help soothe, nurture and calm your baby. Each class combines positive bonding with the healing qualities of reflexology, taught to you by a qualified reflexologist with a special interest in early years development and learning.This award winning programme uses rhymes, story telling and beautiful illustrations to engage you and your child, making it easy to learn and remember the techniques presented. The course is run in weekly, informal hourly sessions, includes full colour course notes, a hardback copy of the book The Mouse’s House, and a certificate of completion. You will have a complete toolbox of reflexology routines to use to support your little one through their early months and years.
Because classes are baby led, you may find you need to feed or let your baby sleep during the sessions – don’t worry as all the instructions are covered in your handouts, and we repeat many of the moves so you have plenty of time to learn the routines.
This is a 5 week ‘Introduction to Meditation’ course. Marj has been practising Yoga for 30 years and teaching in the Dorchester and Weymouth areas for over 15 years. Marj trained with Derek Thorne and is a prominent member of the YogaLiving Community. She teaches meditation and Yoga in the Advaita Vedanta tradition . This is an ancient and authentic wisdom teaching which directs us to the oneness and truth underlying this whole experience. This is suitable for beginners, or people who wish to refresh their practice.
- Teacher: Marj Snape
- Time: 6.15-7.15pm
- Dates: New dates in February
- Cost: £35 for 5 weeks
- Email Marj
- Mobile: 07769 949 947
- Fordington Yoga website
From 20 weeks into your pregnancy is a great time to start preparing for the most important event of your life. Discovering that your body is beautifully designed to give birth naturally will give you confidence and help you look forward to the birth of your baby.
Corinne Lukomski is a trained hypnotherapist specialising in hypnobirthing. She discovered hypnobirthing 17 years ago when she was pregnant with her first daughter. Feeling calm, empowered, and in control, being able to make informed choices is what made all the difference to the experience of birth. She teaches the Katharine Graves Hypnobirthing (KGH) method.
KGH is a complete antenatal education which will provide you with all the information that you need about childbirth.
- Teacher: Corinne Lukomski
- Dates: 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd February
- Day: Saturday
- Time: 10-1.00pm
- Email Corinne
- Mobile: 07535 705 408
- Corinne’s website
Mindfulness-based Stress Reduction (MBSR) Course with Jem Shackleford
A full 8 week course designed for people who wish to integrate mindfulness into their lives.
This course aims to help you take better care of yourself and get the most out of living. The majority of people completing the course report lasting benefits including:
- being better able to relax
- having more energy and enthusiasm for life
- improved self-confidence
- an increased ability to cope more effectively with both short and long-term stressful situations.
The aim of the programme is to learn new ways to handle challenging physical sensations, feelings, moods or social interactions. For more information please see the Mind how you go website.
This full course costs £180 and includes eight weekly 2 hour sessions, an all-day retreat, all course materials, pre-course telephone interview and supporting telephone calls/emails between sessions should you need to discuss elements of the course.
- Teacher: Jem Shackleford
- Time: Saturdays 10.30am – 12.30pm
- Dates: 12th 19th 26th January, 2nd 9th 16th 23rd February, 9th March 2019
- All day Retreat: 17th Feb 10.30-4.00pm
- Cost: £180
- Email Jem
- Mobile: 07709 911 987
- Mind How you go website
Understanding Toddler Behaviour
Do you ever wonder why your toddler behaves the way that they do?
Are you facing tricky tantrums or other tricky behaviours such as hitting or biting?
These two workshops will help you to understand your toddler’s brain development and how this affects their behaviour, emotions and relationships. They will also give you new ideas for handling common toddler issues and share evidence based techniques that can support you and your toddler. The price is for up to 2 members of the family (so bring the OH if you want to!)
It is necessary to attend BOTH sessions as we have so much fantastic content we can’t deliver it all in one session!
*We welcome “babes in arms” (under 12 weeks) but the sessions are not suitable for older children.
- Teacher: Michele Carter-Grogan
- Time: 9.30-1.30pm
- Dates: March 16th and March 23rd
- Cost; £15 for both days
- Bookings: https://www.calmfamily.org/michelle-carter-grogan.htm
- Email: email@example.com
Chanting from the Veda-s is the most wonderful thing to do. The sound takes us to silence, the silence of the heart. It is a meditative discipline – indeed, the renowned yogi T. Krishnamacharya used to say that it was the most suitable meditation for people in this distracted age. It makes us feel calmer but also stronger, more joyful and more positive. The Veda-s are the great teachings on which all the classical Indian philosophies, including yoga, were based. When we chant them, we connect not only with our own heart, but also with people going back over thousands of years, as well as with the ideas behind yoga. You will learn simple chants and mantras that you will be able to use for the rest of your life.
This course will be suitable for complete beginners and for those who have tried chanting before and want to learn it more systematically. You don’t have to be able to sing – we only use three notes.
- Teacher: Sarah Ryan
- Time: Sundays 10.00am – 12:30pm
- Dates: Feb 3, Mar 3, April 7, May 5, June 9 and July 14
- Cost: £150 for all 6 sessions, plus about £26 for the two books we shall use.
- Email Sarah
- Landline: 01258 839 230
Yoga Therapy For the Mind
Yoga therapy for stress, anxiety and depression
8 Week Course
The Yoga Therapy for the Mind 8-week course is an evidence-based program developed by Heather Mason of the Minded Institute. The course is a thorough investigation and journey into the body and the mind drawing on ancient yoga principles and mindfulness meditation techniques that are the foundation of Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) one of the fastest growing new therapies for stress reduction.
This course combines yoga postures, breath work and mindfulness meditation which will allow you to experience and understand how these practices can work for you both in the short term and in the long term.
Through a deeper insight into the physiological and psychological aspects of stress, the 8-week course will give you a toolkit that you can use to obtain and maintain positive mental well-being. The yoga practice is specifically designed to re-balance the nervous system and to teach you how to regulate mood and emotions. You’ll be taught which postures are useful for energising and which are useful for bringing calm to your system. Additionally, through the poses, you will learn how to coexist equally with both comfortable and uncomfortable physical sensations through relaxation and working with the breath. By learning how to be with the variety of sensations in the body you simultaneously develop the ability to be with challenging emotions in a more grounded and gentle way. The course will visit new themes each week enabling you to explore your yoga practice through different perspectives, encouraging the exploration of mental patterns, perceptions, and habits that may keep you stuck in unfulfilling experiences of life.
Each segment of the course offers cumulative skills with each week’s theme building upon and developing the previous week’s learning. At the close of each session, there is a discussion period for you to talk about your experiences during class and how to use what you learn when facing the challenges of daily living.
While it’s helpful to be part of a group in a class, building community and learning together, homework practice is vital to your healing – this really is when the shifts start to take place. You’ll be given homework at the end of each class to practice daily along with reading material to support your learning. Homework practice is an important way of integrating yoga and mindfulness practice into your daily life.
- Asana practice with awareness 1 hour 15 minutes
- Pranayama 15-20 minutes
- Group Activity 15 minutes. The group activity serves to highlight the teaching related to that week. Activities come from either the mindfulness or yoga tradition
- Group Discussion 15 minutes. During the discussion, students can ask questions related to yoga and mindfulness, share insights, listen to others or choose to be silent. Everyone gets an opportunity to speak in an organised fashion.
- Explanation of daily home yoga therapy and mindfulness practice
- Course Materials included:A comprehensive manual to keep, Yoga Therapy and Mindfulness CDs to keep and support daily practice
All levels of yoga and meditation are welcome – you do not need to have practiced yoga or meditation before. Spaces are limited to a maximum of 6/7.
- Teacher: Toni Roberts
- Dates: 26th February, 5th, 12th, 19th, 26th March, 2nd, 9th, 16th, April 2019
- Time: Tuesdays 6:30 – 8:30pm
- Cost: £210 Early Bird and £240 thereafter. (Early Bird ends 31 January)
- Email Toni to register your interest or to make a booking