Yes it is freezing, but we know Spring is just around the corner, and Jonathan Austin our Osteopath has some useful tips below for all you gardeners out there and for those of you who just work too hard!!
As ever, the details are below and in the calendar – please check it!
With best wishes from Sharon and all the teachers and therapists at Dorchester Yoga and Therapy Centre
Top tips to avoid Spring injuries
With Spring in the air many of us are thinking about getting back into the garden and becoming more active. This means we are likely to stress some different tissues in our bodies, often the low back, hip or knee.
Therefore, we must be mindful of avoiding prolonged hours of hard work without taking regular breaks. We must vary our positions and pace ourselves if the work is arduous. If working outside, stay as warm as possible. You will benefit from stretching after physical work, even if it’s the last thing you feel like doing!
For those working at a computer, it is important to vary your position throughout the day. While the evidence for what posture/chair is best is inconclusive, it is now widely considered that variation is the key. With the advent of computers, phones, and increasingly sedentary living, it is becoming more commonplace in our society to have forward shoulder/head postures and bent spines. This is going to increase workload on joints and compress internal organs.
Being mindful of posture by recognising what positions or stresses our bodies are continually undergoing is a good starting place. Osteopathy can really help with this.
- Avoid crossing legs too much or standing on one leg too much. Moderation!
- Keep calm and improve breathing patterns. Lie on back with head on a cushion. Spread arms out to side and breathe in for a count of 3 and out for 7. Allow yourself 5 minutes to do this, and you will become more aware of how you are breathing.
- Change position frequently. Don’t sit in same type of chair all day. Mix it up. Move as much as possible.
You can follow Jonathan on Instagram or facebook for many more useful tips!
Classes, Courses and Workshops: March
Holistic day of Yoga with Duncan Hulin
- Saturday 3rd 10:00am – 4:30pm
- More about Holistic day of Yoga
Shakti Dance with Magdalena Atkinson
- Sunday 4th 1:30 – 3:30pm
- More about Shakti Dance
Preparing to Parent Course with Mary-Clare Buckle
- Wednesday 7th 6:00 – 8:00pm
- More about Preparing to Parent Course
Sacred Feminine Yoga Nidra with Sian Lalita’ Alcock
- Friday 9th 6:00 – 7:00pm
- More about Sacred Feminine Yoga Nidra
Reiki Taster Day with Karen Giles and Elaine Harris
- Saturday 10th 10:45 – 12:15pm
- More about Reiki Taster Day
Breathing and Yoga Nidra with Sharon Cox-Button
- Friday 16th 7:00 – 8:00pm
- N.B. this is a change from the normal first Friday of the Month
- More about Breathing and Yoga Nidra
Sleep Well Nourish Workshop with Nadiya Wynn and Sarah Attwood
- Saturday 17th 10:00 – 3:00pm
- More about Sleep Well Nourish Workshop
Yoga Sutras with Sarah Ryan
- Saturday 17th 10:45am – 12:15pm
- More about Yoga Sutras
The Chakras with Sarah Ryan
- Sunday 18th 10:00am – 12:30pm
- More about The Chakras
Introduction to Work On The Third Eye with Christopher Matthews
- Sunday 18th 3:00 – 5:00pm
- More about Work On The Third Eye
Deal with the Body Heal the Mind with Dr. Kausthub Desikachar
- Tuesday 20th 5:30 – 7:00pm
- More about Deal with the Body Heal the Mind
Mini First Aid with Sue Fisher
- Wednesday 21st 11:00 – 1:00pm
- More about Mini First Aid
Alignment Flow with Victoria Boast
- Sunday 25th 10:00 – 11:30am
- More about Alignment Flow
Yoga For Runners with Kim Jones
- Sunday 25th 2:30 – 4:00pm
- More about Yoga For Runners
Looking ahead to April
Unlocking the secrets of the Bhagavad Gita with Acharya Bankim Gossai
- Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th 10:00 – 4:00pm
- More about Unlocking the secrets of the Bhagavad Gita
Herbal First Aid with Fiona Heckels
- Saturday 21st 10:00 – 3:00pm
- More about Herbal First Aid
Digestive Spring Clean with Sharon Cox-Button and Sarah Burt
- Sunday 22nd April 10:00 – 4:30pm
- More about Digestive Spring Clean
Yin Fascial Yoga with Dominique Preston
- Sunday 22nd 1:00 – 4:00pm
- More about Yin Fascial Yoga